Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bonus Mom!

every wednesday nite since mom died i've cooked dinner over at my dads and we've had a great big family fun nite! tonite's dinner is a little different...it's special. we're celebrating leslies's birthday! leslie is dad's fiance' that i helped set him up on a blind date with. as i finished up the key lime pies (leslie's favorite) and covered the spaghetti sauce as it simmers on the stove (she requested anything with angel hair pasta) i just smiled thinking about how blessed we are to have leslie in our lives. as much as i miss my mom and as horrible as losing her was, is it not just so sweet of God to give us someone to fill the gap? how awesome! there are so many marriages that fall apart and end horribly and there are sooo many people that have terrible relationships with their mom. but, twice in one lifetime my dad has been able to love with all his heart and my siblings and i have had a mom that we adored and now this bonus mom! wow! i hate saying "step mom" it sounds so evil and wicked. but i'm really kind of loving the back-up mom, leslie.
just know that no one EVER needs to worry if i'm "ok" with my dad moving on. we are all more than ok! we are elated! our life is fabulous! my love for leslie and the excitement i have for my dad and seeing him act like a teenager again don't lessen the hurt that i still carry in my heart and always will until i see mom my again. i miss her so much. but they are 2 totally different things that really have nothing to do with each other. those emotions have to stay seperate. i'm very confident that when we all meet again it will be one huge family reunion and i'm certain that my mom will hug leslie with all her might and thank her for stepping in and taking care of my dad, seth and ellie and for loving all of us.
happy birthday leslie!!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this Jenny. I still smile at remembering Ellie telling me about how your dad was ALWAYS on his phone talking and "giggling" with Leslie. Isn't it just like a loving Father to supply a stand in mother. Gotta love our God!!!

    ReplyDelete